This game fulfills a primal need.
I bought this game with minimal expectations and I was quite pleasantly surprised with it. The game has many licensed guns—which is the reason I got interested in the first place—from brands such as: Beretta, Remington, and a smaller brand that caught my eye, called Strasser.
Although I had to buy Strasser's guns separately as a DLC I chose a good time to grab them; as the game was on sale.
The gameplay is competent; having many mechanics that would make the game feel like a simulation but, it has great difficulty settings to shape the experience that you'd like to get; more simulation or more arcade-like.
With my selected difficulty, the animals leave some blood trails to make tracking them easier, in addition to having the hunter senses ability to make identifying, finding and, tracking animals much more easier. Without subtracting from the core experience, that require a lot of waiting and actively looking for preys constantly.
From mechanics like bullet trajectory being affected by gravity and wind, to managing and influencing the gene pool of a specific species; hunting older/younger animals, or specifically hunting lower trait animals to leave the stronger ones to reproduce.
The game shows you how 'good' your shot was in killing the animal. The energy within your selected caliber, the organs you damaged or penetrated in a neat three dimensional X-ray bullet camera, once you interact with the shot animal.
I would've liked a dog as a hunting companion to complete the experience and more guns in the base game, with differing quality, and older robust wood furnished guns.
I realized after I bought the game that the sequel was about to release in early access, with some of my complaints being addressed in it.. Just my luck, huh?
Reading recommendation relating to the topic:
The Complete Encyclopedia of Hunting Rifles and Shotguns by A. E Hartink.
This encyclopedia is a fun read with many nice pictures. (I have the 2004 edition, which has some added and removed entries from the original 1997 edition. Like the removal of the Mossberg entry from my 2004 edition and the addition of TOZ.)
With many beautiful specimens like the Krieghoff Plus combination gun; as in multiple calibers in one gun! Or the artistic engravings on the Lebeau-Courally shotguns.
Sorry for the lack of images on this one; as I don't have a scanner to show you the pages of my book in great detail. You can check the 1997 edition on the Internet Archives, albeit with poorer quality photos within the pages.
Links:
- Steam - Way of the Hunter
- Strasser - The STRASSER RS 14 hunting rifle
- Internet Archive - The complete encyclopedia of hunting rifles: a complete guide to shotguns and other game guns from around the world.








No comments:
Post a Comment