Was pleasantly surprised by this one.
Based on Tom Clancy's novel with the same name. This movie had my eyes glued to the screen; they managed to make a movie about submarines that engaging!
It is also filled with your typical military/naval jargon, that I have come to be familiar with after playing the best submarine game: Cold Waters (2017). Words like: baffles, screws, towed sonar array and many more.
The movie is starred by:
![]() |
| The Los Angeles class submarine |
![]() |
| The DSRV 'Mystic' |
![]() |
| The Alfa class submarine |
And the largest submarine ever constructed:
![]() |
| The Typhoon class submarine |
This movie's establishing shot made me do the Leonardo DiCaprio's pointing meme in real life. As I saw that the movie has chosen the Jane's (an open-source intelligence company) Fighting Ships 1977-78 book. Sine I already have a copy of Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II on my shelf!
As I can't really recommend this particular edition since I don't really have it. I would recommend you flip through the World War II edition of Jane's.
Overall a fun and must-watch for any navy/military nerd.
Links:
- Letterboxd - The Hunt for Red October
- Steam - Cold Waters
- Wikipedia - Los Angeles class submarine
- Wikipedia - DSRV-1 Mystic
- Wikipedia - Alfa class submarine
- Wikipedia - Typhoon class submarine
- Wikipedia - Janes Information Services
- Internet Archive - Jane's fighting ships, 1976-1977
- Internet Archive - Jane's fighting ships of World War II







No comments:
Post a Comment